– Maya Angelou
When we embarked on this journey of launching Coco Calla and sharing our love of quality coconut oil with the world, it wasn't a matter of if we could do it, only a matter of working through the how. We knew we were following our passion for health, working together and making a difference.
Exactly what does following your passion mean? By definition Mr. Webster defines passion as "a strong feeling of enthusiasm or excitement for something or about doing something". There is this misconception that following our passions means we have to be on a life long journey of finding that one thing we are meant to be doing but following our passions is a lot less complicated than that.
Following your passions should be a daily journey of what excites you, makes you happy, fulfilled and purposeful. For some this could be touching the world though a blog centered around a topic they are convicted about to educate and inspire, for others it could be using their gifts and talents to serve and make a difference in their community. For the creative introvert it could be locked away in a room painting their latest masterpiece or for the expressive extrovert sharing a powerful message as a speaker at an event or for multi-passionates like us its launching a coconut oil company while striving to empower others to live happier and healthier.
When we are following our passions we are connecting with our deepest selves. We are more positive, experience less anxiety and studies have shown that when we are happier we suffer from less diseases and live longer. There is little to debate that tapping into what makes you happy is good for your mind, body and soul.
Following what makes you passionate means you to wake up every day excited to greet the world. You are ready and willing to make a difference using what sparks your creativity. Here are 5 tips to following your passions and live a happier healthier life:
1. Make a list. Write down all of the things in your life that you love to do. Narrow down your list to what brings you the most excitement at this moment in your life. It doesn't mean you love the rest of your list less, its honoring where you are in your life right now and what brings you the most joy.
2. Business or Hobby. Decide if what you are choosing to focus on right now will be a for the love and fun of it hobby or a business venture. Turning your passion into a business venture will require more strategic planning and goal setting but don't let that hinder you if that is where you truly feel led to take your interests.
3. Take action. Don't allow yourself to sit on your passion filled ideas because you don't have all the answers, time or money. If your number one passion in life is to open your own nursery, don't wait around until you have the resources to go all in. Start growing plants on a smaller scale at home, find a local farmer's market you can take your plants to start selling and bringing in some cash glow, network with people, share your ideas of what you are working towards, get the word out about what you are excited about. The community of relationships you create will be there to support your bigger business venture and the experience you gain by doing will serve you well when you are able to build it bigger.
4. Make it a priority. Yes we are all busy and running around with hectic schedules but there is never going to be the right time to start doing what you love. You are never going to have more hours in the day. We make time for what is important. We only live this life once. Don't allow "not enough time" to keep putting what matters to you on the back burner. Even if its carving out 30 minutes per day to stop, breathe and focus on what you love, you will find those minutes worth their weight in gold to uplifting your mood and recharging your soul.
5. Connect with others for community and support. Following our passions is not always easy, exciting but not easy. Sometimes we face resistance from the people around us you don't fully understand our direction so don't go at this alone. Its important to surround yourself with others who are following their own passions and interests, who can empathize with your struggles and be there to uplift and encourage you when the going gets tough.
Following your passions will be a journey. Embrace it and let it evolve. The end result to a happier, healthier you is worth it!